Cal State Fullerton Titans at UC Irvine Anteaters
Date / Time: Sat. Oct. 13, 2012 / 7:00 PM
Site: Irvine, Calif. / Anteater Stadium
Live Stats: ucirvinesports.com
Twitter Updates: @UCIAthletics / #MSOC
- UC Irvine has won the Big West regular season title each of the last two seasons. It also has three Big West Tournament titles in the last four years including a 2011 win over UC Santa Barbara in double overtime.
- The 2012 scoring breakdown has seen eight goals from sophomores, six from juniors, two from freshmen.
- Last season was the first time there was a shutout in the UCI-CSUF series since 2005, and the first time at Anteater Stadium since 2001.
- UCI has only lost its first four Big West conference matches once in 1990 when it started 0-4-1.
- The Anteaters play 10 regular season non-conference matches: seven on the road, five outside California, and three against 2011 College Cup participants (UCLA, New Mexico, and Louisville). They are currently 3-5-1 in non-conference.
- UCI currently has three ranked opponents on its ledger: No. 4 UC Santa Barbara, No. 5 New Mexico, and No. 8 UCLA. UC Riverside is also receiving votes.
- The Big West Conference has been split into the North and South Divisions with the addition of its eighth member, Sacramento State, in 2012.
- Everett Pitts has been named a candidate for the Senior CLASS Award. Andrew Fontein was a finalist in 2011.
- Gor Kirakosyan earned Big West Offensive Player of the Week honors on September 3rd.
- Redshirt freshman keeper Michael Breslin ranks second among Big West keepers with 57 saves.
ATTACKING IN NUMBERS
- UCI went 5-1 in 2011 when playing in front of over 1,000 fans. So far in 2012, UCI is 0-4-0 in such games.
- UCI had 1,670 fans in attendance for Friday night's loss to Sacramento State. That total is the largest in regular season history and fourth-largest in Anteater Stadium history.
- UCI was the only Big West school with two players (Miguel Ibarra, Christian Hernandez) to compile 24+ points in 2011.
- UCI keeper Andrew Fontein played all 2,160 minutes in net for UCI. Only five keepers played more minutes in 2011 than Fontein; all of them reached the Elite Eight and none of them played every one of their school's minutes.
IN THE BOX
- GLASS HALF FULL: UCI's recent struggles can all be put to rest now that it will take on some Big West South adversaries. UCR, CSUN, and CSUF are all within striking distance with the top two of those four going to the Big West Tournament.
- LONE RANGER: Sophomore Cameron Iwasa remains the only Anteater to appear (and start) in every match this season. He has played in 1,170 of the 1,251total minutes in 2012.
- CROWD PLEASERS: UCI is averaging 2,255 fans on the road to lead all Big West schools. Its 596 home average trails Cal Poly and UCSB, while its overall average of 1,419 trails just UCSB. Friday night, UCI and UCSB played to the largest crowd in the nation thus far of 7,822 fans.
- UC Irvine began the season with its highest ever ranking in the NSCAA/Continental Tire Preseason rankings at 13th in the nation.
- UC Irvine found its way onto the College Soccer News' (15th) and TopDrawerSoccer.com's (13th) preseason rankings.
- The 'Eaters were picked to finish first in the Big West South Division receiving six of eight first-place votes
- Senior defender Everett Pitts and junior midfielder Christopher Santana represented UCI on the Preseason All-Big West squad.
SOCCER AT THE NEXT LEVEL
- Brad Evans and the Seattle Sounders FC are currently 13-7-10 and have clinched a playoff berth. Evans has two goals and three assists in 30 starts with the Sounders.
- Evans ranks fifth all-time in games played, tied for fifth in goals (14), and tied for fifth in assists (15).
- Two Anteaters were drafted in the 2011 MLS Supplemental draft. Miguel Ibarra went in the second round to the Portland Timbers with Andrew Fontein following in the third round to the Vancouver Whitecaps.
- Ibarra has accrued four goals and four assist playing alongside Amani Walker with the Minnesota Stars FC of the NASL to compliment Walker's eight goals and five assists.
- Fontein is currently with the Tampa Bay Rowdies of the NASL, but has yet to see playing time.
- Ibarra and Walker each scored in a 2-1 quarterfinal win last weekend. They play San Antonio in the second leg of the semifinals after drawing 0-0 in the first leg. Fontein and Tampa Bay won their first leg of the semifinals, 2-1, over Carolina
REMEMBER THE TITANS
- Head Coach Bob Ammann enters his seventh season as the Titans' coach.
- Cal State Fullerton is 4-9-1 on the season, 0-3-1 in the Big West.
- CSUF and UCI have one common opponent in San Diego against whom each school has a win.
- CSUF is one of the three schools in 2012 to earn a draw with UCSB.
- Jesse Escalante has powered the Titans with six goals and 13 points.
- Anthony Rosales has converted two of CSUF's four game-winning goals.
- Ian Ramos leads the team with three assists, and his seven points are second-most on the squad.
- Three keepers have seen time for the Titans. Adam Zepeda's 845 minutes lead the crew along with his 44 saves.
- Robbie Hannon has 20 saves in six matches, touts a team-low 0.68 goals-against-average, and is responsible for the squad's only two shutouts.
- CSUF is 2-0-1 in overtime matches.
- Ten different Titans have taken 10 or more shots on the season.
- CSUF commits 13.7 fouls per match, fourth-least in the conference. UCI's 12.3 is the lowest in the conference.
- UCI and CSUF are the only two Big West squads to surrender 20 or more goals at this point in the season.